Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"New News" or "No News is better than Bad News"

This past week has been a week of firsts.
I feel like my poor mommy head has sprouted a new patch of greys (and I've earned every one!).

Hurricane Isaac: yes. We evacuated. You may laugh at us leaving over a category one, but we had air conditioning and power, and ate like kings while you sweated. Joke's on you! Gideon was extremely cranky though, which was rough. We also only grabbed two outfits a piece, since we weren't planning on evacuating, and ending up staying over a week. Sigh. I may never wear those clothes ever again.

Gideon entertaining family in the ICU waiting room: while you all were sweating, we were watching Bug dance, color, and eat Veggie wheat thins from his great Papaw. He did very well (except when mommy went in to visit granny), and was very patient with the rigorous hospital visitation routine. Just a shout out to UncaMitch and AuntBev: we love you! Thanks for the soup, and for just being there!

Bug's first rocking chair: Papaw Gene and Susan got him his first rocking chair, and he loves it! Na was (and continually is) surprised that he'll sit still! His sweet cousins loved it too, so hopefully Papaw Gene and Susan will find them one too.

New tennis shoes! XWide width: yes. My bug has chubby feet. But they are the cutest hobbit feet you've ever seen. Seriously. (but is there anything cuter than baby feet?!) He loves them, and they make him run even faster, which I didn't think was possible. He ran up and down the aisles of the shoe store in them before we even got to pay for them! I would say he picked them out, but they were the only ones we could find in XWide width. Ha. Oh well.

Playground visitation/feed the ducks tuppence a bag: I'm serious when I say that my husband's hometown has THE BEST playground ever. There are three separate playgrounds divided into appropriate ages. Gideon was like a pig in mud! He climbed up and down and all around, and went down the slide head first, laughing all the way down. He is definitely an outdoorsy, all BOY boy! I had to peel him off of the slide to show him the ducks, which he loves, by the way. (We've fed them at our park before and he loves to chase them!) Initially, there was only one duck, but when Bug gave him one of his puffs, one turned into 50! Gideon liked them at first, but they were very aggressive and he climbed on me like the monkey child he is and said "GO! GO!"Crazy ducks.

I could go on and on forever.
Time just goes by so fast.

I was watching Daniel Tiger with bug tonight before he went to bed, and his baby smell is wearing off. (Those who are mothers should understand!) His fine baby fuzz is getting thicker and darker, and as he lays curled up next to me, I see it start to curl as he gets sweaty.
 He's so smart. He wants to understand how things work (like the potty:he flushes it and watches the water go down again and again). And talk about Independent! We went to the park tonight and he climbed to the top of the playground by himself. I started to panic when he got out of arm's reach, but he went over to the slide and went down all by himself.

I feel so blessed to have him in my life. I honestly learn from him every day. It all reinforces my belief that being a mother is the highest calling you can have. For all my super(Tired)moms and dads out there, smell your babies' heads. Kiss them (if you can catch them!) and snuggle them close. We only have so much time with them before they leave the nest. Cherish every moment.

Love to you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment